Skip to Content Skip to Navigation
Member Login

Member login

No account? JOIN US

Managing someone's affairs

If you're caring for someone, you may want to help manage their affairs, if they are unable to, or find out how to plan to do this in the future.

There are different ways of managing someone’s affairs depending on whether the person you are looking after can currently make decisions for themselves (which is called having mental capacity) or whether they are unable to make decisions for themselves (which is called lacking mental capacity).

The information in this section applies if the person you are looking after is aged 16 or over (unless otherwise specified).

The information on managing someone’s affairs can vary depending on whether you live in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. Each page in this section explains which nation(s) it covers.

In Northern Ireland, most of the same principles from the Mental Capacity Act (England and Wales) apply. Contact Carers NI for further information on 028 9043 9843 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Join us

Hands join us

Together we're a supportive community and a movement for change.

How you can help

Carer and son

With your help we can reach more carers with timely support and advice.



We will keep campaigning until every carer gets proper recognition and support.

Talk to us

Phone footer

Caring can be complicated. We're here for you with help and advice.

Back to top