Skip to Content Skip to Navigation
Member Login

Member login

No account? JOIN US

Stay safe and legal

Thank you for choosing to fundraise for Carers UK - we hope that your event is fun for everyone and that you’re able to raise as much money as possible to help change lives for carers in the UK. But it’s essential that you follow any legal requirements or regulations, and identify any potential risks, so that everyone involved stays healthy and safe.

Carers UK’s liability

Carers UK accepts no liability for third party events. The information provided in this section of the website is not exhaustive: you should seek further advice, where required. Please consider any other potential risks before going ahead with your event or activity.


Street collections

It is illegal to collect money for a charity on the street or house-to-house without a licence. To apply for a street collection licence in England and Wales enter your postcode here or visit The Fundraising Regulator for more information.

back to top


Ask your local authority whether or not you need to obtain any special licences (such as public entertainment, collection or alcohol licences). If you are holding the event in a public place, you must have permission from the council or landowner.

back to top

Risk assessment

When you’re organising a fundraising event of any kind it’s important to identify potential risks so that everyone involved stays healthy and safe. Identify all the potential hazards that might cause harm to yourself and/or others at your fundraising event by following these steps:

  • Identify the potential risks and hazards
  • Identify who could be injured or made ill
  • Prioritise the risks as low/medium/high
  • Record the actions you need to take to remove or control those risks
  • Review your assessment as you plan/once you have set up your event to check for any additional hazards or risks.

Ensure you have adequate first aid cover available for the size of your activity. If you’re not sure, check with your local council.

back to top

Lotteries and raffles

If you hold a small raffle on the day of your activity you do not need a licence, so long as all ticket sales and the draw itself take place during the main event. It is okay if your event lasts more than one day. Tickets must all be sold for the same price with no discounts applied. You must make it clear who is running the raffle. Check the latest information and advice from The Gambling Commission and from The Institute of Fundraising.

back to top


Please remember you are responsible for the activity and Carers UK cannot accept liability for any fundraising activity or event you undertake. If you are planning an activity that involves the general public you’ll need to budget for public liability insurance, which can be obtained from any insurer. If you are holding the event in a venue which has liability insurance (such as a village hall or pub) check they have the appropriate insurance and that it covers your activity. For more information visit the Government website. We cannot provide insurance for you, but if you have any questions please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

back to top

Children and young people

If children and young people will be at your event you should pay special attention to the risks involved in your planned activity and at the venue itself. You should check that they have permission to take part and that there is suitable adult supervision.

If you are taking photos or videos you always need to gain parental consent and should never be published or distributed without their explicit permission. If your event is on private property, get permission from the owner or manager. The NSPCC has guidance on child protection and safeguarding including photography and image sharing.

back to top

Food and drink / food hygiene

Food safety laws apply when food is available, whether it is for sale or not. Ensure you follow food hygiene procedures. Contact your local council for food hygiene regulations at events or have a look at the Food Standards Agency's website. If you intend to serve alcohol at your event you need to check whether you need a licence and, if so, what type. You must not serve alcohol to anyone under 18 years of age. Visit the Government website for further details.

back to top

Handling cash and paying in

For your own protection, if at all possible, make sure you count the money you've collected with another person present and have them verify the total amount raised. Ask people who want to make a donation by cheque to make it payable to Carers UK rather than you personally. Make sure any cash donated is kept in a secure place and is banked as soon as possible. For more information on paying your money in please visit our collecting for Carers UK page.

back to top

Need more help?

There’s lots of more detailed information available to keep everything safe and legal. Here are some organisations who can help with specific advice.

And if you need ideas to help raise more money, check out the rest of our fundraising pages.

back to top
Back to top